Overview of the Central Florida Region* Not Seasonally Adjusted July 19, 2019
• The unemployment rate in the CareerSource Brevard region (Brevard County) was 3.5 percent in June 2019. This rate was 0.3 percentage point lower than the region’s year-ago rate of 3.8 percent. The region’s June 2019 unemployment rate was equal to the state rate of 3.5 percent. The labor force was 284,969, up 5,681 (+2.0) over the year. There were 9,955 unemployed residents in the region.
• In June 2019 nonagricultural employment in the Palm Bay-Melbourne-Titusville MSA was 229,500, an increase of 7,000 jobs (+3.1 percent) over the year.
• The mining, logging, and construction (+6.9 percent); professional and business services (+6.4 percent); manufacturing (+4.6 percent); other services (+3.4 percent); trade, transportation, and utilities (+2.6 percent); and government (+1.5 percent) industries grew faster in the metro area than statewide over the year.
• The Palm Bay-Melbourne-Titusville MSA had the third-highest annual job growth compared to all the metro areas in the state in manufacturing (+1,200 jobs) in June 2019.
• The industries gaining in jobs over the year were: professional and business services (+2,100 jobs); manufacturing (+1,200 jobs); mining, logging, and construction (+1,000 jobs); trade, transportation, and utilities (+1,000 jobs); education and health services (+400 jobs); leisure and hospitality (+400 jobs); government (+400 jobs); other services (+300 jobs); and financial activities (+200 jobs).
• The information industry was unchanged over the year.
Source: Florida Department of Economic Opportunity, Bureau of Workforce Statistics and Economic Research.
Brevard County By Category
* Central Florida is defined in this article as the area including the following counties:
Indian River County
Commuting distances are expanding and with autonomous driving lanes, commuter trains, and high-speed rail the connection of these nine counties and times to and from work will be reduced. With connectivity, commuting will be turned into productive work time. With four (4) international airports within 1 -2 hours, the region becomes even more attractive to employers.